Synecdoche, New York

Synecdoche, New York ★★★★★

Synecdoche New York is one of the few movies that I think gets even better on rewatch. During my first viewing I was just trying to follow the story, but this time I was able to digest every line of dialogue and I picked up on so many little things I never noticed before, specifically with Sammy's character. The amount of attention to detail Kaufman put into this film is insane, as literally every frame could be interpreted differently. It's quite obvious in some of the ideas it's trying to communicate, and a lot subtler in others; I do understand it more now, but it's clear that I've only just scratched the surface of what this movie means. The mesh of black comedy and depressing stuff perfectly puts you in Caden's mind, but despite the surreal tone, every interaction feels grounded and each character is complex and realistic.

All that being said, Synecdoche New York isn't a film that can only be enjoyed if you understand it, because the great cinematography, phenomenal performances, perfect score, and disorienting pacing make this a worthwhile experience regardless. Even if you don't completely get what's going on, it's impossible not to feel at least slightly miserable by the time the credits come on screen. This is one of the most profound movies I've ever seen and it really made me think about a lot of things this time around, so I can't not give this a five, even if there is some outdated green screen.

spingy liked these reviews