sprungbok’s review published on Letterboxd:
- the whole film elevated when bryan tyree henry showed up
- YOU CAN'T JUST TURN AROUND AND BE DAVE FRANCO IN THE MIDDLE OF A BARRY JENKINS MOVIE THAT WAS SO STARTLING
- i've decided in my head that those freeze frames at the start were done as some kind of weird fulfilment of a contract with Plan B because that's the shit that's in the two McKay movies they did too. like in my head brad pitt was like "ok I'll produce your movie but you gotta give me a couple freeze frames man. also you gotta let me put finn wittrock in it"
- the two leads were such cuties ugh man
- the scene w/ fonnie talking about trying to get a loft was a great performance
- really interesting how obvious the difference in writing is here between this and Moonlight. no disrespect to this film (and i mean, i adore james baldwin) but Moonlight felt more sophisticated. or subtler.
- special thanks to the safdies! hey!
- colman domingo? an ACTOR and a BEAUTIFUL MAN!