The Edge of Seventeen ★★★★

There is a lot to like about "The Edge of Seventeen," and maybe even a lot to hate.

You might hate the characters, both Nadine, played by Hailee Steinfeld, and her brother, Darian, played by Blake Jenner, which is understandable, both are equally insufferable throughout the film, yet, they ring so true to who many of us truly are.

Personally, this film hit almost too close to home for me, with me switching off between Nadine and Darian, and see a lot of me, and my sister, in those roles.

Normally you try and go to the movies to escape, but not this time.

Seeing films lately, I'm enjoying more and more not know the plot and going in completely cold. I was unaware of what triggers Nadine and makes her tick in "Edge" and her interactions with every other character is fantastic to watch, namely her teacher, played by Woody Harrelson and her would-be/could-be boyfriend, Edwin.

Steinfeld continues to grow as an actress and it's a sight to behold. Her comedic timing is getting better and as watchers, we are seeing her grow up on screen, playing characters that she knows so well and it becomes more than acting, and turns into a coming-of-age story that you can believe in.

-Matt