Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri ★★★★½

There is one scene in particular in "Three Billboards" that really takes you aback and helps you relate to the pain and anguish of Frances McDormand's Mildred Hayes. It's the final words that she shares with her daughter before she disappears.

It's a moment that everyone has shared at one time or another. Something that we regret saying when we're in the heat of the moment. Luckily, most of us have the chance to apologize and move on, but there are people that have had to deal with the grief of what could be their final words to a loved one. McDormand's turn in "Three Billboards" is indeed award worthy and might be one of the most complete character portrayals I've sen all year.

Martin McDonagh has created a film that feels lived in and is almost too real. And with scars still fresh from tragedies like Ferguson and how police relations and trust with the public are at an all-time low, there something zeitgeist-y about this film.

Also, as an aside, please consider Sam Rockwell for some type of award nomination. His turn as Dixon harkens back to his breakout in "The Green Mile" and shows how far he's come from "Head Thug" in "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." He you hate him, emphasize, sympathize, and finally see his own form of redemption.

But just as good as all these characters are, it's really hard to feel all that much for them because they're all monsters in their own way, they just all express it and deal with it their own way.

One of the best of the year.

-Matt