Rush ★★★★★

Ron Howard strikes again. This is the fourth movie of his that I've given five stars to. And I know he can get really cheesy and overly dramatic with his movies but it doesn't seem to bother me in the least. As for Formula One, I've never been a fan. I don't know, the sport was never too popular where I come from and it didn't catch my attention more than a few minutes when it was on tv. I didn't know anything about Lauda or Hunt before watching this, which I believe helped the experience a great deal, constantly keeping the suspense at very high levels. The movie has its flaws (all of which are less worrisome when considering the 70s setting and the fact that this is a sports drama after all), like basic characterization, dramatized dialogue (especially between the main two characters), events presented in a slightly cliched fashion (marriage, drinking, women, etc). All squandered by the exhilarating force of the F1 races and the ardent rivalry between Lauda and Hunt: discipline vs. recklessness. The always present adrenaline is perfectly conveyed through the intense races, which are tightly shot and edited. The score by Hans Zimmer is an important factor here, keeping the viewer at the edge of the seat while bringing an extra layer to the more emotional scenes as well. An action-packed, adrenaline-fueled film which is all too entertaining and all too rewarding.

Florin liked these reviews