Silent Running ★★½

I don’t see how a movie can be made from this concept (if it can actually be called a concept – which, obviously it can, but I’m trying to make a point here, guys). Bruce Dern stars as a tree-banger who is left in charge of maintaining the last of Earth’s plant life and, uh… Yeah, no, that’s it. He loves nature. Ninety minutes worth of nature-loving, and intense nature-loving at that. And chores. Silent Running is basically Bruce Dern loving nature and doing chores. He does chores. But not cool chores, if such a thing exists. The real basic ones, like fixing broken parts and watering plants and stuff. Oh, and he also pals around with a couple of droids. (I won’t deny that these droids have a cuteness factor that rivals that of R2-D2.) But that’s it. Silent Running is Bruce Dern looking handsome, loving nature, doing chores, being cutesy with droids and, on occasion, frolicking about in the flower patches and local watering hole. And speaking of Bruce Dern, with his mane of luscious brown curls and his Qui-Gon-Jinn attire and his hippie-isms, he is the sole reason why I didn’t throw in the towel.

But the fact of the matter is that I can’t hate the damn film because it is so solemn and so sad, and that ending really makes me wonder if I should go back and give it another chance.

(I probably won't.)