Experiment in Terror ★★★½

NIcely done thriller from 1962 with noirish overtones about a bank teller (Lee Remick) being stalked by an asthmatic psycho-criminal who threatens to kidnap and kill her sister if she doesn't steal from the bank on his behalf. Crisply directed by Blake Edwards (a year after "Breakfast at Tiffany's"!) with a score by Henry Mancini, it's got good San Francisco locations including a final tense scene shot in Candlestick Park during a baseball game.

A surprise here was Ross Martin (from the TV series "The Wild Wild West" playing the stalker. A mature Glenn Ford is in his element playing the FBI agent trying to catch the criminal, and the whole film has a voyeuristic vibe, because Remick is constantly being watched, both by the stalker and by a host of FBI agents. The teen sister is played by a young Stefanie Powers, and there are a number of good character actors.

There were a few odd elements that were somewhat extraneous to the plot - interesting but somewhat distracting. One was about the Chinese girlfriend of the stalker and her disabled son. The other was about another victim of the stalker, killed early in the film, who tries unsuccessfully to get help from the FBI. But other than that, the film is quite good. Since it's from 1962, it doesn't (to me) fully classify as a noir and is more akin to some of the tense 1960s thrillers of the period.

I saw this on Amazon Prime, where it is free to stream for members. It previously had been shown on the Criterion Channel's "Columbia Noir" series. Since I missed it there, I caught up with it on Amazon.