10 Cloverfield Lane ★★★★½

This is a pretty perfect example of "the less you know going in, the more you'll probably enjoy it." I don't want to spoil anything, so I'm going to talk about some things mostly unrelated to plot that make the film so great.

John Goodman is at the top of his game here. He plays a role that requires him to come across as paranoid, threatening, and trustworthy all at the same time—and he completely hits the mark. Mary Elizabeth Winstead was perfectly cast as well, portraying a confused survivor who can't decide if she's been saved or kidnapped.

The entire film is a bit of a guessing game, and you'll switch your line of thinking multiple times throughout. It makes discovering new evidence extremely satisfying as you try to piece it all together.

To be honest, I only had one hangup with the movie, involving a certain throwable object near the very end. It felt a little out of place and far-fetched to me. But for a nearly 2 hour film, being upset at 30 seconds is pretty fantastic.

All in all, 10 Cloverfield Lane is a great mystery (with some horror elements) from start to finish. I'd recommend it to absolutely anyone.