Deadpool ★★★½

I went into Deadpool with very low expectations—I was pretty sure it wouldn't be my cup of tea. I was right! But the movie also exceeded those same expectations, too.

What makes Deadpool so great is that it knows its audience extremely well, and doesn't pull any punches to make sure that specific audience has a fantastic time. The opening credits ("a CGI character", "a moody teen", etc) set the mood, and that same tone is successfully carried throughout the entire film.

Deadpool is the very definition of antihero (in fact, there's a mini-monologue about how he's not a hero), choosing murder and violence when possible, even when completely needless. The character works because his violent nature is contrasted with comedy—he's a flippant jackass who cracks jokes in every scene.

I was actually surprised how anxious I felt during one scene showing various acts of torture—the scene itself wasn't particularly gratuitous or graphic, but the implied acts made me break out in a cold sweat. Maybe it was just the fact I was on a plane.

Overall, Deadpool wasn't really for me, but that doesn't mean I didn't have fun or that it's a bad film. It's strength is being self-aware of what it needs to be, and it plays to those strengths from start to finish. If you know what you're getting into, it's going to be great, and probably even better than you're expecting.