Dogtooth ★★★★½

Dogtooth is both hilarious and horrifying. I didn't know anything about the film prior to viewing, so I was on a roller-coaster ride of emotions the entire time. The characters were so weird—a very forced, very deliberate weird—pushed even further by the cinematography. Scenes were shot with the actors' heads out of frame, and sometimes we'd hold on a single character for an incredibly long amount of time—uncomfortably so—all while another character (out of frame) is speaking. In time, you learn why everything is so weird.

The film centers around three nameless adult children (read that again—it's not that the movie doesn't reveal their names, it's that they have no names) who have been confined to a life at home. They've been homeschooled, and given deliberately incorrect information about anything related to the outside world—they fear everything beyond the fence. The children love their parents and obey everything they say; it's unnerving to see how obviously twisted they are and knowing the children haven't the slightest clue.

However, in the midst of this psychological horror lies the elements for an incredible black comedy. The outside world must remain mysterious to the children, so the parents have created their own definitions for even the simplest of words. The children have never seen a phone, but wouldn't ask questions because "phone" is the word for salt. They'll never want to experience the sea because "sea" is a large leather armchair. Airplanes are tiny things—they often land in the yard, actually. Oh, and cats? They're the most dangerous animals alive.

When I wasn't laughing, I felt disturbed. Those were my two primary emotions the entire movie, really. But now that it's over, only one of those sticks with me... and it's not the comedy. If you don't mind weird, I'd highly recommend Dogtooth.