Noah ★★★½

I constantly re-evaluate the rating I plan to award a film while I watch it. I never used to do this—only since I joined Letterboxd in January. Throughout Noah I found myself hovering around 4 stars, occasionally moving up to 4½ stars. Things were looking good! ...and then they got on the boat.

I've wanted to see Noah ever since it was announced. I've loved Aronofsky's work and was eager to see his sixth film. I had read reviews that this was a far cry from the story I grew up with, and that was actually really exciting—I wanted to see Aronofsky's twist on the Biblical epic. Some people have been less excited.

Churches across the nation have been urging folks to avoid Noah because it doesn't stick to the text. So what? These people have heard the story a million times. Treat it like a work of fiction, just for an afternoon, and have some fun with it! At the same time, I get their point—due to my background and understanding of the story, I caught myself several times thinking, "okay, but it didn't happen like that."

I think even the religious audience can get something out of this, though. The Bible is scarce on details, and there are a few scenes that would certainly speak to them on a deeper, spiritual level. For everyone else, it's a great retelling of a classic tale. Some of the imagery and lines (Russell Crowe is amazing) gave me chills.

As I mentioned earlier, I was quite in love with the film for most of it—while it doesn't have the "crazy" factor that many Aronofsky films have, there are moments they shine through a little bit. I just felt like the movie was too long. The entire last third of the movie was a complete drama-fest and brought down what the rest of the movie had spent building up. There are some redeeming moments near the end, but completely overshadowed by all the ridiculous stuff going on.

Overall, I liked Noah. It really wasn't what I was expecting, but I think that's a good thing. I'd recommend it to anyone, but if you're on the fence about it, maybe rent it later on. Either that or walk out of the theater shortly after they get on the boat.