Spy ★★★★

Dang, this caught me completely off guard.

I was expecting an unfunny and poorly-done James Bond parody, but what I got instead was a genuinely hilarious (and often times quite action-packed) gem of a comedy. I've never seen anything starring Melissa McCarthy, but based on the trailers, I assumed it'd be her flailing around as a spy while supporting actors made fat jokes. I missed the mark completely.

The humor resonated with me, but I was really impressed with the performance by McCarthy, especially around the mid-point of the film. The plot is drastically altered and causes a massive character change for our protagonist, who honestly knocks it out of the park. I was heavily invested into the plot of a comedy, and was looking forward to the action sequences—truly bizarre. Once again, this was definitely not what I was expecting.

The only complaint I have is that we were forced to watch the Unrated version (the normal version was—strangely—unavailable for rent on iTunes). I hate watching the "extended" cut of any film, because things are unnecessarily stretched, usually with mediocre results (generally for the sake of selling DVDs/Blu-Rays). There's 10 more minutes in the Unrated version, which is a lot of extra time on an already long 2 hour and 10 minute run time. That means we watched this film for 140 minutes.

Still, despite some of the pacing issues I believe existed because of the extended version, it was a well-crafted film. I'd recommend this movie to any comedy-loving action fan, and I'll be keeping my eye on future McCarthy titles.