The Big Lebowski ★★★½

I've heard for years that Lebowski is a cult classic, so I'm glad I finally got to see it.

Unfortunately it's a terribly difficult movie to explain. It follows "The Dude" (Jeff Bridges), who is a slow-talking, unemployed slacker obsessed with bowling. The Dude's real name is Jeffrey Lebowski, and he shares a name with a millionaire in town. After some thugs break into his house, beat him up, pee on his rug, and quickly realize they have the wrong guy, The Dude goes on a mission to replace his rug. (Emphasis added because yes, that is actually the plot of this film.)

What follows is the most unbelievable sequence of events imaginable. The Dude, with his best friend (and Vietnam veteran) Walter (John Goodman), get swept up in extortion, deception, and a handful of double-crosses. It's a ridiculous plot contrasted heavily with The Dude's laid-back monotone voice.

Past the crazy story (which continues to return to the bowling alley, where reality is firmly planted -- mostly), the performances are actually pretty amazing. Bridges and Goodman are incredible, the former being a completely believable slacker (sorry, Jeff).

The movie is such an oddity that even now I'm having trouble putting it into words. I'd definitely say it's worth a watch, even if you don't think it's the funniest thing you've ever seen. I can see why it's reached a cult status.

Oh, and shut the f*** up, Donny.