The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies ★★★

I have to say, I'm really glad I watched the second Hobbit film mere hours before watching the third. The second one ends on such a cliffhanger that it'd probably be dreadful waiting an entire year to see the conclusion. Watching them back-to-back feels like one long movie. One very, very, very long movie.

Look, I get it. That Lord of the Rings franchise prints money, and making one Hobbit movie seems like a great idea, but why make one when you could make three? I haven't read the book, but even I could see they reeeeeaaaally stretched things across these three films, especially in this third one.

One thing you should probably be aware going into the film is that less than half of it has any dialogue at all. The entire movie is one long fight scene. At many points you have multiple characters in multiple locations fighting, and keep jumping between them. This isn't necessarily a criticism, I guess, but I just thought there would be more substance to the film. Then again, what did I expect from them stretching the story out over three movies?

However, I did enjoy it! But just like the second film, it wasn't anything particularly special. It's mostly a CGI-fueled fight scene full of recognizable characters. ...or maybe those recognizable characters are who people are there to see? I've already said that it seems like The Hobbit films were created exclusively for people who wanted just a little more Middle Earth, and maybe these films were for them.

While I didn't care much for the dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf were extremely interesting to me. I think in the very near future I'll sit down and finally watch the complete Lord of the Rings trilogy to see what the fuss is all about. I did enjoy the Hobbit films, so if they're any improvement, I should be in for a treat.