The Road ★★★

The Road is about a father and son who travel together in a post-apocalyptic world. It's part Fallout 3 and part The Last of Us... except those are games. Oh, and they're actually good.

Twenty minutes into the film I was curious why they didn't just name it Grey Whisper - because the film is grey (seriously, Gears of War looks like a freakin' rainbow compared to it) and the characters are only capable of talking in a whisper (subtitles were a necessity). Not that either of those things are bad, but heavily overdone here.

The film manages to get a lot of things right, but unfortunately screws up just as much. The concept is great, but the execution is only okay. One of my huge gripes is the lack of character development—I just didn't care for the characters at all, which made it really hard to be emotionally attached to the final scene of the film.

All in all, I really wanted to like The Road, but it's just... average. There's a few good scenes if you really dig the whole post-apocalyptic thing, but don't expect much more.