Victor/Victoria ★★★½

I had never even heard of this movie until a week ago, when we learned we'd be watching it for Movie Club.

It's a 1982 film but feels older. The setting is Paris 1930s, and I think between that and the genre (musical—well, sort of), the filmmakers used the script/delivery and the cinematography to represent a much older film. It's a very funny movie, but it's an old style of humor that definitely won't click with everyone. The delivery of the lines allows for no comedic timing, which is something I've noticed is common in older films/theater.

What I enjoyed about the film was the plot—it's definitely something I've never seen before. "A woman pretends to be a man pretending to be a woman" is a line repeated several times throughout the film, and does a pretty good job of summing up the plot.

The film also tackles a lot of mature themes in relatively positive ways, which is surprising given the age.

Overall it's a good film, but I could only recommend it to fans of musicals or older cinema. It's definitely for a specific audience.