Chungking Express

Chungking Express ★★★★★

Inspired by the great films before it from Film Noir to the unique experimental approaches of the French New-Wave and the American autuer Cassavettes. Wong Kar-Wai's Chungking Express very much plays with many innovative techniques and just contains about everything I love about cinema. I saw In The Mood for love for the first time recently and I'd seen 2046 and Happy Together a while ago so I wasn't surprised to get another melancholic yet beautiful film dealing with lonely characters trying hard to move on. Wong is clearly a master of exploring love and really just all human emotions, here the film revolves around four different characters in Hong Kong who are all going through similar feelings but are all unique and complex.

The cinematography is amazing, this film has one of the best uses of handheld I believe I've seen as it really works to heighten the feel of realism and all of the performances are subtle and detailed. The use of music was a big highlight and it's repetitiveness actually really worked for me as every use of a song just perfectly heightened the mood. Chungking Express is more relatable for me at this point in my life then In The Mood for love is and I happen to love it even more. Even with how lonely and sad it can be there are also moments of joy and it's just exceptionally executed in all ways that it possibly could be and it really is a powerful and unforgettable experience.

Steve liked these reviews