The Handmaiden

The Handmaiden ★★★★★

This is a film that seems to come up very often in peoples favourites or best lists and I'd always been meaning to see it and the fact that it was an erotic psychological thriller directed by Park Chan-wook made me aware that it would probably be very intense in one way or another. This is another one of those better late then never scenario's for me, the only reason I hadn't seen it earlier was just due to not being able to find a good copy of it, anyway going into it pretty blind last night proved to be quite the experience. Just for those that haven't seen it i'm not interested in going into to much detail but what I can say is that the film looks absolutely beautiful for a start and it manages to be disturbing, funny and incredibly entertaining with an always perfect balance. It's told in three parts with a complex plot that kept going in directions I never fully saw coming and it was all the better for it. There are two great complex performances from Kim Min-hee and Kim Tae-ri and I really don't want to spoil anything but this is a very violent film with some truly horrible characters but is one that ends on a very satisfying note and how it gets there is absolutely genius.

Steve liked these reviews