Gary Numan: Android In La La Land ★★★½

There was something exuberant and difficult to explain about the first time I heard Gary Numan's "Cars." There was something about its wavy, repetitive synths and Numan's robotic vocals that drew me in and made me want to listen to the entire song even if 85% of it was just the same instrumentation. It wound up being the song of summer 2013 for my friends and I as we navigated the season before our final year of college. It also helped draw me into other great tunes by Numan, such as the haunting and melancholic "Down in the Park" and the modernist funk sound that is "We are Glass."

I fell off with Numan's current works, as he's transitioned more comfortably (or perhaps uncomfortably) into darker sounds, industrial rock, and hallmarks or Gothic art. I find his music in the 1980s unbelievably enjoyable and subversive, as well as his famous album The Pleasure Principle chock full of definitive examples of early techno-music and experimental pop. Gary Numan: Android in La La Land is a documentary that shows how less formidable and enjoyable recent years have been for the English new wave singer. Upon being diagnosed with Asperger's and experiencing a vicious bout of depression, Numan fell into a funk with releasing music that stalled a lot of his output in the 2000's and early 2010's.

Read the full review on my personal website, stevethemovieman.proboards.com/thread/5581/gary-numan-android-la-land