Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star Wars: The Last Jedi ★★★★½

This might've just replaced The Force Awakens as my favourite Star Wars movie. Or at least my favourite of the sequel trilogy.

Has anyone who hates this movie for "not being Star Wars" actually watched all the movies before it? How can they not see how Rian Johnson loves Star Wars like them? More than most? How he pays homage, deconstructs and subverts the saga's characters, tropes, themes, mythology and history is the perfect love letter and the most Star Wars a Star Wars can be.

There's so much to gush about. The gorgeous cinematography, the action sequences (both lightsaber fights in particular), John Williams continuing to experiment with his score, the foreshadowing, the payoffs, the most solid character arcs in the franchise. I could go on and on.

On my first two viewings, I liked this, a lot, but something felt off, it didn't feel completely like Star Wars. But after re-watching the entire Skywalker saga this week, like Kylo Ren, my conflict is resolved. I realise I was wrong. This is the right ending for Luke in my mind and I think it's an awesome set-up for a finale.

Rian Johnson is an underrated talent and one of the finest filmmakers working today. Give him his goddamn trilogy already.

Josh liked these reviews