The Wolverine

The Wolverine ★★★½

The Wolverine (2013) takes the best character from the X-Men films and drops him into a storyline that sits completely outside the pre-existing universe. Director James Mangold provides us with a glimpse into his follow up movie Logan (2017), the best film of the entire franchise, in this superhero film with a difference. It’s setting and culture helps to remove ‘Wolverine’ from the surroundings we are used to seeing him in and with it Mangold manages to show us a deeper, more conflicted character, traits we normally don’t get to see.

This heavy dialogue driven film fits much better within the Wolverine Trilogy than it does the X-Men films, which might be the reason behind most of the negativity that surrounds it, but I have to say I’m a fan. In a franchise where the spin-off movies are generally better than the core universe structured films, I can say with confidence that the best decision the executives at 20th Century Fox made was to continue after X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) instead of winding the whole thing up.

Format: Streaming (HD)