Aladdin

Aladdin ★★★½

The original animated Aladdin is one of my all time favorite Disney movies. I was quite nervous about this, but as it turns out it was a lot of fun. It wasn't perfect, but I it really made me smile. Naomi Scott as Jasmine is the real standout. She's really made the character her own and it turns out she has a fantastic singing voice. Jasmine's new song "Speechless" is a great addition. As for Mena Massoud, he's very charismatic (great smile by the way) and seems like he's having the time of his life as Aladdin. Plus, he has a pretty decent singing voice as well. Of all of the characters, though, I was most concerned with the Genie since Robin Williams gave such an iconic performance. Luckily, Will Smith was able to let his own take on the character shine through in several key scenes. Finally, I just wanted to mention that the whole production is quite spectacular visually and I'm so glad they got Alan Menken back to compose the music. Overall, this update is definitely worth watching, especially if you enjoyed the original or if you're brand new to the story. I'd say this is currently my second favorite Disney live-action remakes - right behind Christopher Robin (2018) featuring Ewan McGregor.

Lauren liked these reviews