Den of Thieves ★★★★★

The Chappelle's Show skit where Arsenio Hall is upset nobody told him how good the cheese was? That was me watching Den of Thieves.

Big Nick (Gerard Butler) and Merrimen (Pablo Schreiber) are on opposite sides of the law, they have an unspoken rivalry, and the mind games between the two is what sets the movie apart; the events play like a game of chess. The gunfights rip, the heist is clever, and the movie itself keeps you guessing, I was rooting for both sides and I had a couple of ideas on how things would wrap up but the story kept on surprising me.

It's heavily inspired by Heat but if your heist movie is going to take inspiration then it might as well be from one of the best in the genre. All the actors know exactly what type of movie they are in, they know their roles and play up to the tropes of the genre while bringing their own flavor go it. Butler hams it up as the alcoholic cop, his best role since 300, Schreiber is the tough leader with morals, O'Shea Jackson has a deceiving role that will make you want to revisit the movie just to watch him again, even 50 Cent brings a strong and subtle performance as the sidekick partner in the crew.

Don't sleep on this one! I had a few friends recommend it but I dismissed it because of the RT score, it's a classic of the genre.

SuperBardiBros liked these reviews