Star Trek: First Contact ★★★½

Probably looks more like a Very Special Episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation than it should, but on the scale of Very Special Episodes, it’s a pretty special one.

I like James Cromwell as Zefram Cochrane, the reluctant engineer who invents warp technology, and Alfre Woodard as his assistant Lily, who has several excellent and intense scenes with Patrick Stewart about the fate of humanity and his blinding hatred of the Borg. (I don’t think I’ve seen this movie from start to finish in 23 years, but I still remember Stewart’s big monologue: "The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they done!”)

That said, the best part of this movie is how Riker and Geordi hitch a ride on the first warp flight with Zefram Cochrane for no reason other than they are super stoked to witness this epic moment in human history. They absolutely do not need to be there, and they probably butterfly effected the shit out of their world doing it. But c’mon, if you could be on, say, the Wright brothers’ first flight, wouldn’t you do it? Hell yes you would!