The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ½

I know it's for families but I can't help but think that the film's actual target demographic is people who make fun of stereotypical filmbros or film hipsters despite being one themselves. Like these are the same people who never shut the hell up about Scott Pilgrim, Lady Bird, La La Land, Frances Ha, Marvel/DC, or any Wes Anderson movie. As if that's any different from those annoying cinephiles who obsess over Scorsese, Tarantino, Nolan, Fincher, A24, Criterion, neon colors, cinnamon rolls or whatever. No shame in liking them but plz.

The animation's nice and all but the film as a whole is insufferable. The story is formulaic and predictable. It's basically The Emoji Movie with the Gravity Falls aesthetic + this annoying integration of pop-culture references and memes you'd come to expect from a movie involving Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Oh boy I sure love Nyan Cat, yelling monkey, Instagram filters, and numa numa live your life THROWBACK HITS 2000-2012 BOTTOM TEXT.

I thought big tech companies were cool but Sony told me they're actually evil but they're sometimes okay for stealing people's data because we can make YouTube videos and TikToks. In fact, I'm gonna start working on a 30-minute video essay titled "Why The Mitchells vs. The Machines is a Subversive Masterpiece."

Edit: Wow this sure blew up! Thanks for the gold, kind stranger!

Edit2: thanks for the silver, dear anonymous Letterboxd user :)

Edit3: uwu another gold? You're spoiling me... ;) Thanks!

SupremeLemon liked these reviews