Fly Away Home ★★★★★

"She's different than I thought she'd be… more complicated."

Sometimes you go back to your old favourites and they're exactly as you remember them and that's fine - that happened with me the other day with Girl, Interrupted. But sometimes you go back and what takes you aback isn't the rush of nostalgia, but how much it's changed on you, while remaining just as good - or even getting better.

The story here is pretty corny, even if it is part true, I'll give you that - a girl whose mother has just died moves in with her estranged father, adopts a bunch of geese and helps them migrate south in his flying machine. But the story here is the least important thing to me.

This movie is about Anna Paquin, Mark Isham, and Caleb Deschanel. In 100 minutes, the way these three people play off one another is nothing short of profound. They captured a girl becoming a woman, the exact moment, questioning her place in the world, without the anchor of a mother figure - becoming her own mother figure even. Every single moment of Anna Paquin in this movie is a moment the world should be grateful was caught on film. The moment when her character Amy takes the baby-carrier - presumably the one she was once carried in - to collect the goose eggs, I just lost it this time around. Deschanel's camera is in love with this girl - the closeups of her in wonder at the eggs hatching alone are perfection.

Isham's score conveys all of this pseudo-motherhood adolescence stuff with soul-melting sensitivity, but then when it comes to it also conveys the feeling of flying (for me) even better than John Williams' Superman or ET.

I know often when I get like this about a movie I'll find others praising the individual elements just as much as I do but saying the movie as a whole isn't that great… but seriously, for me, when something this rare and beautiful has been captured, it is all a movie needs to do. It's just moment after moment of profound, unadorned beauty that will never get old.

Melody liked this review