Gerald's Game ★★★★★

"I'm sorry."
"I don't want you to be sorry."
"What do you want?"
"I want you to remember."

"It's gonna fucking hurt."

"The new normal. Well not normal. Never normal."

"You're the only one who matters. I think we deserve the sun."

It's as close to Trump*: The Movie as we're gonna get in 2017 and as such I feel like I kinda have to place it right after Get Out in my list for the year so far before even considering its cinematic merits which are plentiful, and it's easily one of the best King adaptations I've seen too. I'm ashamed as ever with King adaptations to have not read the book first, but in a world where he seems to be still writing them faster than any sane person can read them what are the options? Anyway, this is even more perfectly awful than I could've imagined… one of those great Stephen King movies where, even if you haven't read the book, you can't imagine how they managed to make it from a book, at the same time as you can't imagine how it was ever a book.

It's insanely timely, like Netflix must've felt very weird over the past few weeks since its release as story upon story about sexual abuse have come out in the media etc. It's really kind of perfect, flawlessly acted, any docked stars are only for the fact it's too painful to think I'll watch it again (I wrote that last part before I started crying in the last act but I'm leaving it here to show my thought process while watching).

*Trump being shorthand for *all* the insane sexual creepozoids that have plagued the newsphere these past 11 months… and any yet to come (I even jokingly speculated to Sarah while watching this that King himself can't be far off).