Three Cases of Murder ★★★

This kind of looked like it was going to be a bit too much like a TV anthology from the opening (the "host" is completely unnecessary throughout) but thankfully the first story (a museum attendant basically gets kidnapped by the people in one of the paintings 'cos they want to make the painting better) was surprising enough to put that out of my mind, with a fantastical, magical tone that the movie's title doesn't hint at at all. It's worth saying that the thing it most reminded me of - Stephen Sondheim's Evening Primrose - was a TV production, but a damn good one. For me there still aren't enough stories like this, where weird things simply happen and that's that, where the logic of the world that isn't "ours" isn't something to fight against or escape but to accept, adapt to, or suffer. Wherever you stand (whether you're a normie or an alien in this world - guess which I be), it's a thing that isn't seen or understood enough. Coincidentally or not, this first segment was directed by the one reason I watched it, Wendy Toye (who directed the fun Raising a Riot… I'd say this was a far more inventive production).

As to the other stories… I lost track of the second one almost immediately, though it did seem more like the kind of story I expected. I have no idea what it was about though, I just completely lost interest. The final one, I had high hopes for because of Orson Welles (apparently he may have directed some of it too? to my mind the first segment bore more of his signature though), and I guess it's a fun story if tamely told (he *gasp* loses his trousers) - but, let's just say this is the second experience I've had this year of Welles doing a British accent, and, I would've really thought he'd be better at that than he evidently was (he sounds more English when he's just speaking in own voice than when he's trying).

It's really all worth it for that first segment though. More of that.