The Royal Tenenbaums

The Royal Tenenbaums ★★★★

Honestly, everything great about the first watch of The Royal Tenenbaums just felt so underwhelming this watch. The dark undertones are still there, the stylistic writing is still there, the odd performances are definitely still there, but they just felt like they weren't as outstanding as they felt the first time I watched the film. And it wasn't a bad watch, but I definitely can see that The Grand Budapest Hotel is definitely the better picture. All the things I used to love about this once favorite, just feels like toppings to a cake. Which would be fine, but the story didn't feel like anything spectacular. It was still fun, but it wasn't this beautiful thing that I once thought. This being said, a lot of my old negatives didn't really stand out, I honestly didn't notice them. The odd editing format, the narration, the use of chapters, and a few of the characters, specifically Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, and Ben Stiller which all the big complaints I had back when I first watched this, didn't really feel that bad (although Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson were still pretty flawed characters).

A negative review, but this was still a lot of fun.

Block or Report