Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★★

Middleburg Film Festival #1

I've been waiting for this for about a year. So to see it finally was a great treat. First of all, Riz Ahmed is electrifying in this painful role. I knew Riz was always a great actor. But, this really sold his versatility. I honestly believe Amazon should campaign him of Best Actor. I know this is not going to happen but, it should happen period. I have to see how Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins and Daniel Kaluuaya play out in this race. But no doubt, Riz Ahmed is the Best Actor of the year so far.

Darius Marder takes Derek Cianfrance's story and gives it its own spin. At the same time, it feels like a Cianfrance story/flair. That's a good thing because, It's naturalistic. Cinfrance is very naturasitic and Marder channels in Cinfrance's cues.

The sound design in this is impeccable and it feels extremely immersive in some scenes. Riz Ahmed has a couple of scenes where is extremely distraught with the fact of his character being deaf. I dont want to spoil it but, it get extremely emotional and very frustrating to watch. Olivia Cooke is also amazing in it. I have the upmost respect for her performance in this film. There really isn't anything to nitpick about this film. Riz Ahmed is truly a powerhouse.

Honestly, I'm incredibly speechless. Amazon is truly going to have a great year with this and One Night In Miami. It all about how to campaign and I think Amazon should campaign this film for Best Actor period.

When this comes out on Amazon Prime in December, please check it out.

Jack liked these reviews