Snowpiercer

Snowpiercer ★★★★½

Get all cozy by the fire and watch the perfect, comforting Christmas movie, Snowpiercer! Just look at the poster, it's a great holiday movie...

I know, I'm hilarious. Anyway, watched another Bong Joon-ho masterwork last night, and there was snow in it, so, I was like, why not make a sarcastic joke about Christmas in the opening sentence? Yeah, I can already hear the awkward silence *coughs* alright, moving on! Apocalyptic cinema is rarely as good as this. Bong Joon-ho is one of the finest filmmakers working today, and Snowpiercer proves his versatility as a director, able to efficiently execute brutal action sequences in an enclosed location, and make it look gorgeous. Seriously, the lighting in this movie was immaculate and so clever. The train is essentially a manifestation of humanity on wheels. Bong Joon-ho once again includes a commentary on society and class struggle, this time through the lens of a dystopia, and although it's not nearly as subtle as Parasite, the themes are there, and they are prominent throughout the film. Yes, some of the dialogue is a little in your face, nearly directly stating what the point of the film is for the audience, but it's Bong Joon-ho's excellent execution of these ideas that keeps the engine of the film running (train joke, haha). I haven't seen Chris Evans have a better performance, his work in this was terrific, there's a monologue he has towards the end that honestly blew me away, his character arc of becoming a leader was so well-written. Tilda Swinton was also easily a standout, I found her character to be hugely enjoyable. The film includes a breathtaking finale accompanied by an extremely shocking set of reveals that I didn't see coming. Bong Joon-ho keeps secrets from the audience until the end, that's what's so brilliant about the simplicity of Snowpiercer, the characters know just as much as the audience knows, crafting an even more immersive experience.

88/100