Beyond Clueless ★★★

On the one hand I loved it as a sort of love letter to my favourite film genre, not completely a documentary but a lengthy, glossy music video (how I imagine Sofia Coppola would make a documentary) - it's incredibly pretty to watch - and although kind of reaching, I loved the analysis of Eurotrip.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm going to take much from having watched it (other than a few films to add to my watchlist). The description of the film as 'a dizzying journey into the mind, body and soul of the teen movie' is a bit of an overstatement, it's more like driving through a town and telling everyone that you've spent some time there.

As a backer I felt disappointed, maybe it was a result of also being a Veronica Mars backer and seeing how much effort they put in to making sure the fans/backers were kept in the loop of everything. But I feel like several months went by without an update, as the final film reached various film festivals it felt like the entire world would see it before me (it was even at my local cinema a few weeks before I received my digital download). Although my donation wasn't huge, It was still a sizeable amount to contribute to something practically unknown, but there wasn't even a thanks to the Kickstarter contributors in the end credits.

Safiya liked this review