Midsommar ★★★

-DIRECTOR'S CUT-
Don't know why I thought seeing this again would make me feel any different. Also don't know why this is the first movie I've watched in about a month. No matter how much I enjoyed things I didn't notice the first time around or grew a newfound liking to something I previously disliked, there are glaring issues about this movie that I will never be able to see past.
I feel that many find this movie to be very empowering, and I'm happy that's the case. Emotionally abusive and manipulative relationships are hell on earth, and to have a film so accurately represent a realistic abusive relationship that isn't incredibly on the nose is good. That being said, this film has a terrible, inaccurate depiction of individuals with bipolar disorder, painting them in a way that feeds into common misconceptions and stereotypes. I'm really, really disturbed by this when it could have been endless other things to drive her sister to do what she did. I don't know. Blech.
I also just.. I don't know. I don't want to sound like a meninist or something. Christian is a fucking sleezebag. He's the worst. Dani deserves so much better. But I can't bring myself to enjoy a character, no matter how douchey, being drugged, outwardly disapproving sex, being raped, and then being brutally murdered. It makes me sick to my stomach. To hear laughter at the absurdity of the sex scene is belittling. We already lack representation for male rape victims and to turn it into a gag almost makes me feel icky. I don't know. I'm open to talk about it. Anyways. I like Pelle. I like the opening sequence too.
-I'm adding this a bit later, but all the women comforting Dani and the synchronized yelling scene made me very emotional. I didn't feel that before!!

syd liked these reviews