Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou ★★★★★

Film #67 of the June Challenge

THIS IS IT!!! The French New Wave film I've been waiting to knock me off my chair! Pierrot le fou is by far my favorite Jean-Luc Godard of the three I've seen and probably my favorite of the entire movement. It's brimming with life and exuberance, jumping from situation to situation with dexterity. Full of surprises and WTF moments, I was never bored and never wanted the crazy adventure to end. It utilizes the trademark cinematic flourishes of the French new wave like bizarrely poetic voiceovers, playful self-referential nods, inspired musical cues, and innovative cinematography/editing to craft a timeless crime/road/love story.

Marianne and Pierrot (those aren't their names) are a couple in love on the run from some Algerian hit-men looking for Marianne. They lie, cheat, steal, murder their way out of mess after mess until their wild life catches up with them. On the way they have beautiful and fleeting conversations about meaningful and thought-provoking topics. Jean-Paul Belmondo and Anna Karina both sparkle during their exchanges, perfectly combining youthful invincibility with the wisdom of experience. They are able to inject humor when it's needed and up the intensity when the scene calls for it. The camera also loves both of their faces.

Whether you're a fan of French new wave or you're looking for a place to jump in, Pierrot le fou will make a strong impression on you. For me, it heads straight to my favorites on a first watch and I can't wait to watch it again!

Simone liked these reviews