The Girl Who Leapt Through Time ★★★★

Film #56 of The December Project

I love time travel films, so if I ever make a personal ranked list of them, this would for sure be high up there. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time uses the time travel plot to explore themes around acceptance and regret better than a lot of live action films. It's also a great high school film, with some romance thrown in for good measure. The experience of watching this film was emotional for me, causing me to reflect on my own high school experience and the regrets associated with that time in my life.

I don't watch a ton of animated films, especially ones geared at older audiences like this one. I think I need to change that, because I was very much invested in this story and the animation was astounding. At once, it's detailed and simple. The time travel aspect is really well done in this film, both visually and conceptually. I won't spoil how it works because there are some reveals I found to be surprising, but it's original and logical enough.

The problems Makoto deals with are ones close to my own timeline of events in high school, so I found myself rooting for her to make the decisions I wish I had made myself. I will definitely revisit this one again, because I don't think I was mentally or emotionally prepared for how close to home this one would hit.

Simone liked these reviews