2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

51 week’s and one day ago I watched 2001 a space odyssey for the very first time. Almost a whole year later I saw it on a massive cinema screen in 70mm. And while it seems melodramatic I feel blessed that I have now seen it in the way it was meant to be seen.

I hesitate to call it sci-fi. While it’s in space and set in the future and that many of 2001’s themes and ideas are as relevant today as they were 50 years ago and will be 50 years from now.

While I made that first paragraph sound like I was about to go deep into analysis I’m not and truth be told, I’m not doing so because I have only a vague idea what this film is about.

My main ideas were that Kubrick believes that we have a craving for knowledge and power but when we don’t have the power of that knowledge it scares us.

Probably completely off and I have the very faintest idea what happened in the final act but 2001 A Space Odyssey is plainly worth seeing for its visuals.

The 🐐 space movie has barely aged more than a day. The fake ass looking monkey suits and some of the space green screen early in the film are the only things that have noticeably dated. But even for today’s age, in many ways this masterpiece is ahead of time.

Kubrick was a true visionary and this film if nothing else is proof of that.

2001 is very possibly objectively, the best film of all time and an easy top ten member for me.

Fuck 13 reasons why for educating a new generation with fascist beliefs like claiming this is boring.

If this is playing near you I urge you more than anything else than to take the time to go and see this. You won’t regret it. Possibly the best theatre experience I have ever had.

To only add to the magnificence Kubricks daughter, and two of his long time collaborators spoke before the film about their experiences with the man himself.
What a way to start June!

A*