10 Cloverfield Lane ★★★★½

This movie is basically a 100-minute panic attack and I mean that in the very best way possible. It is a SLOW burn but never in a frustrating way, always in a mind-racing, let's try and figure this out way and of course, you're never able to because the film is always 3 steps ahead of you and 10 times crazier than you could ever hope to be. It is UNFATHOMABLE that the film is able to maintain such an intense level of tension for almost the entire runtime. And when the twists start coming, they're wonderfully nightmarish and unsettling but never implausible or rug-pulling, never upsetting the movie's logic and world rules.

I hesitate to mention any specifics since the presence of the unknown is partly what makes this film so powerful but I will say that I adore the Hitchcockian opening, with only the score and occasional visual clues giving us the information we need to know as we dive into this situation. The cast is uniformly excellent, with John Goodman giving his best performance in years (and that's saying something because John Goodman is always excellent) and Mary Elizabeth Winstead finally getting a role deserving of her talents (I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for her to go full Ripley on us). This movie MESSED. ME. UP. and I can't wait to see it again.

Crystal liked these reviews