Judas and the Black Messiah

Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★★½

‘Anywhere there is people, there is power.’

I have been incredibly excited for Shaka King’s Judas and the Black Messiah to arrive here in the UK. And, shit, what a film.

Daniel Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield show why they are two of the most talented actors on the scene right now, and by the looks of it, they will be for quite some time. I found it impossible to take my eyes off either of them and their raw, fiery, and emotional performances. Jesse Plemons is also excellent. The scene with Martin Sheen asking him a question about what he will do if his daughter brings home a Black boyfriend is excruciating; you can see the conflict on Plemons’ face. Dominique Fishback, Ashton Sanders, Algee Smith, Darrell Britt-Gibson, and Dominique Thorne comprise more of the supporting cast and they are all commendable in their roles.

Judas and the Black Messiah is an important, evocative, and powerful film and, for me, is a must-watch. I feel angry with society. The injustice - on a small and large scale - is infuriating. Films like this will continue to move it forward.

Good luck choosing Best Picture in April.

Film365: 332/365