Suspiria

Suspiria ★★★★½

I’ll cut to the chase: I loved it.

I wasn’t very enthusiastic about this. I really didn’t think Dario Argento’s SUSPIRIA needed to be remade, and it feels like that almost didn’t happen. They are different experiences.

Luca Guadagnino’s SUSPIRIA is much more interested in the following: witches (!!), dance (!!), wickedness, screenwriting (!!), acting, atmosphere, film editing, wickedness. (I wrote wickedness twice, and I’m just gonna leave it).

This is no disrespect at all to Argento’s. I think it rightfully deserves its classic status. I’m sure it’ll keep the bigger and more loyal fan base. But Guadagnino’s reimagining of it is absolutely unmissable and, if you ask me, better than the original.

It started off on the wrong foot, but it totally got me. Eventually I was mesmerized.

Swinton is excellent, my favourite of hers since ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE. While I still have doubts, I like Dakota Johnson more. And Mia Goth is wonderful, and maybe MVP.

I love Goblin’s score, but, to quote my friend Galen, a fellow Suspiria remake skeptic who ended up loving it, “[Thom] Yorke did some true magic.”

I have a lot more I could say, but I know I’m gonna see it again. I’ll save it.

Edit: The acts were helpful.

taurusvenus liked these reviews