Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

"Now... did you answer cause you thought that's what I wanted to hear, or did you think about what I said and answer cause you truly believe that to be right?"
Mulholland Drive is, simply put, a masterpiece. I watched this 2 years ago and i didn't love it as much as i do today. It was a 4/5 for me, but rewatching it two years later, i see how good it really is. Its the best movie representation of the word dreams. It has storylines that lead to nowhere, and there is no explanation of what the story really is. Theres many theories of what is real and what is not. Mulholland Drive tells the history of hollywood. Lynch's favourite film is Sunset Boulevard, but this is much different from it. Its more like a strange fairy tale.

It isn't a story from beginning to end, it doesn't have normal narration like other movies. The movie is scary, it doesn't have jumpscares, but it has some creepy moments. But its also insanely entertaining. I wasnt bored a single moment. It invests you in with its ideas and plot. It makes you think. And its much easier to figure out what it means on rewatches. It also gets better on rewatches. You know whats gonna happen, you learn more, you understand the story more and more. The performances are fantastic. Naomi Watts should have been nominated for her brilliant performance. Lynch is a master filmmaker. And im discovering his filmography more as my life goes on. This is probably his best so far. Its this or Blue Velvet, but both are masterpieces and films that make you think.
5/5
Its a must watch, but you might not like it if you dont understand it.

Marco liked these reviews