Under the Silver Lake ★★★★

I didn't know much about this film going into it tbh. We were surprised by a film festival on the day the tickets went on sale, so we had to choose quite quickly before we missed out.

The criteria I went by was - is the cover and/or title interesting, what country was it made in, are there any interesting cast members/directors, is the synopsis interesting and does the time fit with both of our schedules (in that order). We narrowed it down to four, with the potential to see if there would be space for more later.

Under the Silver Lake was the first of the four. I knew it had Andrew Garfield and it was the same director as It Follows and that was enough to make me want to see it and I'm so glad I did. What a wild ride.

The first act is fast paced, wacky, weird and wonderful. The mystery of it all starts to unfold in act two which makes you ask more questions than it answers. The third act loses its footing a bit, with a slightly cack-handed final 15 minutes and another 15 minutes that could have easily been trimmed down.

Despite it being a little weaker in the final act, I had so much fun picking out of the films they were paying homage to. For those that are big fans of old Hollywood, I'm sure you will have an absolute riot.

This is probably the best I've ever seen Andrew Garfield and there were some great side characters along the way. Look out for the scene with the piano - BEST!

Mysterious, weird, a little bit kooky, at time hilarious and surprisingly violent. Silly, fun and just the right amount of quirky, I had a great time Under the Silver Lake.

Tarryn-tino liked this review