Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★½

I can only imagine how much this movie would improve by a second viewing. I kept asking myself, where is this headed and what is the point of it all? What did Margot Robbie's character add to the whole thing? Why does this feel like a cartoonish lifestyle documentary about the 60's? Quentin tried out so many things here, maybe one or two things too many. And still, it's just a blessing watching the chemistry of Pitt and DiCaprio, the production design is stunning and the movie has such a unique tone to it, it's an hommage to movie making itself. I see why people would have issues with the ending, which doesn't really feel earned. But to have such a relief in the end after all this build up, and to finally be gifted with the most Tarantino there is in this movie, felt great. And yet, it also made me think of what this movie could have been, if Quentin stuck to his inimitable and genius way of making movies, which I fell in love with time and again. Most notably I missed the swagger and the juice in the dialogue. I missed tension and the drive and the absurdity. But in the end this movie still was worthwhile to me and I really look forward to watching it again someday, knowing where it is headed and what it is about. I'm sure it will only get better.

tomcivis liked these reviews