Shaun the Sheep Movie ★★★½

"Trampolines: Spring Discount" might be the best gag in this whole movie. There are several pretty funny moments here, but there are also a lot of moments that are just ok. There were quite a few references to classic films, which I know the kids didn't appreciate like I did. The two that stick out the most are the BARK & BITE tattoos on the one dog's knuckles (reminiscent of the LOVE & HATE tattoos Robert Mitchum has in The Night of the Hunter) and the homage to The Silence of the Lambs.

The animation is very good and no doubt took a ton of work, though I wasn't a big fan of how the sheep all had their mouths on the side of their head every time they talked or made noise. It took me about a third of the movie to really get into it, as the first act is pretty slow. A bit of dialogue from the characters might have helped me stay interested during that stretch, though admittedly the silent film vibe did end up working for the second half. Overall this was a fun watch, but it isn't one I see myself in a hurry to revisit. The kids seemed to enjoy it for the most part, but their biggest laughs mostly came when the animal catcher landed in piles of manure.