Blade Runner

Blade Runner ★★★★★

Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.
- Roy Batty

It's fascinating to me that so many people love this movie these days. Not that I'm complaining or anything. It's great to see it being appreciated. But for the longest time, I felt alone in loving this film.

I was only two years old when it came out, but already it was influencing me, before I was even aware of it. My dad bought the soundtrack on vinyl. He played it constantly. It seeped into my brain. Embedded itself in my subconscious, like a seed. A seed that would later grow and bear fruit.

When I was six years old I was already developing an obsession with science fiction. I discovered the soundtrack for Blade Runner in my dad's record collection. The album cover intrigued me. The production stills on the inside of the gatefold sleeve fascinated me. I asked my dad about it. He told me about the movie. And then he put it on for me. It changed me. Re-encoded my DNA.

I was nowhere near mature enough to understand it on a thematic level. But the imagery ignited my fertile young mind and the Vangelis score touched my soul. Something clicked. The seed sprouted.

Over the years my love for this film grew and deepened. Subsequent cuts of the film improved on what was already there. The move to DVD from VHS, and then later to Blu-ray, made me appreciate its visual majesty even more. Repeated listens to the soundtrack over the years only further cemented it as my favorite film score of all time. Reading the book further enhanced my appreciation for its thematic underpinnings. The seed, now grown, blossomed into a love for a film.

Throughout the years, there have been many films that I loved. There has, however, only been one constant. One film that has always been my favorite. Others have come and gone over the years. There has always been Blade Runner. I love it so much that I once watched 3 different cuts of the film back to back, then watched it again with commentary, and then followed that up with the 214 minute long Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner, all in one day. Then I listened to Memories of Green, by Vangelis, and wept.

This is what Blade Runner means to me.

Block or Report