Cult of Chucky

Cult of Chucky ★★★★

Given how many horror franchises shit the proverbial bed when it comes to continuity and mythological consistency, I must give this franchise the credit it's due. Each film in the Child's Play/Chucky franchise picks up where the previous film left off and continues to tell a consistent story that builds on what has happened before. While this doesn't seem like it should be a big deal, it's surprisingly rare in long running horror franchises (Hellraiser, I'm looking at you). Each film, while giving us something new, follows the established rules and lore laid out in previous films. If the rules change, an explanation is provided. Not only has the series maintained an almost flawless continuity, it has also maintained its quality, with the exception of maybe Child's Play 3. In fact, it could be argued that the quality has been on an upward trend since Bride of Chucky.

While I miss the campy tone of Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky, I think that Curse of Chucky did a great job bringing a more serious tone back to the franchise, and perhaps making Chucky scary again. Cult of Chucky takes this even further. While it's impossible to purge Chucky entirely of any cheese, this is about as serious as a Chucky film has ever been. It plays with the concept of insanity in a way that could almost get this classified as a psychological thriller. It's also pretty well filmed. Almost certainly the best a Chucky film has ever looked. There's some pretty decent gore to satisfy the gore hounds, though not as much as I would have liked. Furthermore, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Fiona Dourif's performance as Nica Pierce. She's fantastic in this, and is a huge part of why this film works as well as it does. I hope we get to see more of her as Nica.

So, if you haven't seen this, what are you waiting for? Come and join the cult.

Tears_in_Rain liked these reviews