Godzilla ★★★★★

Godzilla and Friends Marathon: 1 of 46

From the moment the title, ゴジラ (Gojira), appears on the screen, accompanied by the iconic roar, and followed by the rousing theme, composed by Akira Ifukube, you just know you're in for a treat.

Inspired by Harryhausen's monster in The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, Gojira is no ordinary monster. Director Ishirō Honda infused this now iconic beast with the terrifying characteristics of the atomic bomb. Something Japan is all too familiar with. While the 50s produced many films about irradiated monsters, playing on the fear of atomic energy, Japan had a singularly unique perspective, having experienced the devastating force of the atomic age first hand. This is, undoubtedly, why Gojira stands alone as the most iconic and terrifying monster to emerge from that atomic panic. While many of the monsters of that era have been forgotten, Gojira has remained relevant to the present day, appearing in countless sequels over the years, and forging a lasting legacy.

As I've stated in other reviews, I'm a big fan of 50s sci-fi films and anything with giant monsters or, as they're referred to in Japan, daikaiju. I also love black and white films, and Japanese cinema. So, it should go without saying that the original Gojira is one of my favourite films. And, while I've watched many Gojira films over the years, I have yet to ever get around to watching all of them. Well, that ends now. This review marks the beginning of a Gojira marathon that will include, hopefully, all Gojira and Gojira related films.

Tears_in_Rain liked these reviews