Decalogue V

Decalogue V

[84]

Mulled this over for a while and frankly, it’s hard to justify treating DEKALOG, FIVE and SIX as separate entities from their A SHORT FILM ABOUT… counterparts. Yes, even in the case of SIX / LOVE, where the ending is significantly altered, the other 90% of the film is still the same. There are many other cases I can think of where a “Director’s” or “Extended” Cut also drastically changes the viewing experience from the “Theatrical” release, yet they are treated as mere variations of the same film (MARGARET and AMADEUS off the top of my head, though I’m sure there are more). So I’m going to log and treat A SHORT FILM ABOUT KILLING / LOVE as, more or less, “extended cuts” of their corresponding DEKALOG episodes. And yes, in each case of course I prefer one over the other, but that’s hardly a justification to handle them as entirely different pieces. My official score and writeup will be logged under the “SHORT FILM” entries, regardless of the “version” I prefer.

Revisited DEKALOG, FIVE anyway, even though my wife and I watched A SHORT FILM ABOUT KILLING earlier this year (my second time). It’s still great, but it contains all of the edifying that bugs me about KILLING while removing much of the (seemingly superfluous) discourse of Piotr, the young lawyer, meaning in the truncated version, he’s purely a cipher fabricated to give the moral conundrum a fleshy stand-in. At least in KILLING, the background makes him feel like an actual person. May as well redirect you to my previous thoughts on the longer version, which, up until last week, was my favorite Kieslowski piece.

Tony liked these reviews