Big Bad Wolves

Big Bad Wolves

This is not meant to serve as a review; it's merely me jotting down some thoughts about this very problematic (for me) film.

And this contains serious spoilers, like, spoil-y spoilers. So stop reading now if you don't wanna be spoiled.

1. I crave ambivalence in films; I recoil if everything is black and white. That said, at some point ambivalence crosses a line into just being a mess. I really don't know what the filmmakers' intent was here. And I guess I don't need to, but ultimately I don't know what this film was *about*.

2. I have a profound problem with the film on a very basic story level. How did everyone decided that Dror was the killer? There was no real evidence, and certainly not enough evidence to warrant the response shown in the film. The interrogation video going viral gave Micki an interest in getting a confession, but even still...

3. We were offered almost no insight into Dror's motivation for killing the girls. And worse than that, we were red-herringed *away* from Dror as the killer repeatedly. That doesn't seem like fair play.

4. I know very little about Arab-Jewish relations in contemporary Israel, but I loved the two interactions with the unnamed Palestinian guy on the horse.

5. Why did Gidi bake a cake for Dror? Ostensibly it was because the killer had done this to his victims, but that was to incapacitate them and make them easier to capture and violate. Dror was already captured. Did they do this only for a deus ex machina for the Micki escape? Lame.

6. I feel like my tolerance for onscreen violence is pretty high, but torture is something else entirely. Between this film and Prisoners, I've wondering if there's been a shift in how we perceive torture. Is there a larger connection to be made? Are we living in a post-Abu Ghraib world or something? I don't know, but I'm asking.

that's all for now; I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later.

ian liked this review