Tenet

Tenet ★★½

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

pretentious
/prɪˈtɛnʃəs/
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

I feel I could leave the review at just that and the majority of people will understand what I mean. I only wanted to watch this again so I could watch it with subtitles and actually understand what people were saying, which I couldn't last time due to awful sound mixing, which seems to be a trend among Nolan's work, but is taken to another level in Tenet. In fact, I feel that way about a lot of the typical Nolanisms in Tenet. Honestly, now I've seen it with subtitles, I can recognise how dumb this entire movie is. Just because something is high concept, doesn't make it intelligent; in fact it's rather the opposite when it's executed this poorly, it's like a parody of a much better Nolan film, such as Inception, in multiple different ways. These things shouldn't annoy me so much; at the end of the day, it's just a big dumb action movie, with a BIG dumb plot, big dumb explosions, a big dumb faceless "protagonist", and a big dumb stereotypical moustache-twirling Russian villain, who would've been cheesy in a bad way even 40 years ago. It's just the fact that it's SO far up it's own ass I can't have fun with it or treat it as such, and Nolan's rabid fanbase doesn't help with that.

I've talked a lot of shit on Nolan in this review, I enjoy a lot of his stuff, especially The Dark Knight, Inception and Memento; and this is easily his worst, but all of things that make my eyes roll when I think of him are here to the extreme.

Nolan Ranked