Yi Yi ★★★★★

I'm totally speechless.

Yi Yi is one of the most honest
beautiful
human
perfect
brilliant
important
and life-changing films ever made.

It completely change how I view life, and gives me all the energy for me to continue living.

Edward Yang is a genius, I'll be checking out more of his films soon. But wow! This film is truly a work of an experienced filmmaker that couldn't be made that often in a filmmaker's career. His understanding of the human condition is mind-boggling. Yang's direction of the camera is nothing short of masterful, even though the film mostly consists of wide shots, his film feels much more intimate than most films shot with close-ups, and some of the shots are going to stay with me forever.

All of his characters are memorable, they all have amazing arcs, and powerful resolution at the end.

This film also contains some of the best use of music ever.

There's just so much to unpack here, despite the film's 3 hour runtime, not a single second of it is dull or wasted, every aspect of it is so filled with life. And that's the biggest compliment I can ever give to a film.

Also, Yang-Yang is a genius, and we don't deserve him.

Officially my 2nd favorite film of all time. Thank you Edward Yang!! Thank you for this masterpiece!!

Thanapat liked these reviews